Staying safe on the roads is just as important for bicyclists as it is for drivers. In the United States, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has reported that 2 percent of all 2009 traffic accidents involved a bicycle, and over 51,000 bicyclists were injured in 2010. That is a staggering increase in bicycle injuries, up sharply from 43,000 in 2007.
Check out these surprising statistics on bicycle safety over the past couple of years:
- About 85 million American adults ride a bike at least occasionally.
- Head injuries account for 60 percent of cycling fatalities.
- Properly fitted helmets reduce the risk of head injuries by 74-85 percent.
- In Pennsylvania, children ages 5 to 14 years old are the most at risk of death and injury from a bike accident or bike crash.
- 1 in 8 of the cyclists with reported injuries has a traumatic brain injury. Two-thirds of bicycle accident deaths are from traumatic brain injuries.
- Bicycle crashes and injuries are under-reported, because the majority of bike accident injuries are not serious enough for emergency room visits.
Use these helpful tips to prevent a bicyclist accident in Las Vegas.
Tips for the driver
- Look for oncoming cyclists when making turns.
- Look for oncoming cyclists when opening your door toward the street.
- Don’t honk your horn at bicyclists if you don’t really need too—this can startle the bicyclist, causing a sudden movement
- Do not follow a bicyclist too closely. Give them plenty of room ahead.
- Be aware of bicyclists turning in any lane.
Tips for the bicyclist
- Invest in common sense gear like a bike headlight, reflective badges, and a horn or bell.
- Slow down if you think a driver can’t see you. This is especially important for dusk or evening travel and can help prevent car accidents.
- Avoid traveling at night, if you can.
- Do not ride on the sidewalk. Consider using the bike lane; this is the safest area to travel using a bike.
- Ride on the right side of the road, with the flow of traffic, not against it.
If you find yourself in a situation in which you were injured by a motorist while on a bicycle, you deserve to be represented by the top personal injury lawyer in Las Vegas. Call the office of Dallas Horton and Associates at 702.380.3100 to schedule a free consultation.
Dallas Horton is one of the top personal injury attorneys in Las Vegas, Nevada. He specializes in personal injury, accidents, and wrongful death cases. He has been practicing law for over 15 years and has won millions of dollars in settlements for his clients. For more information or to contact Dallas Horton & Associates, visit his website at GDallasHorton.com or connect with him on Twitter (@gdallashorton) or Facebook (/gdallashorton). Any information contained herein does not constitute and should not be assumed to be legal advice. The contents of this post are the personal opinions of Dallas Horton and should not be assumed to be legal counsel.